Health Through Healthy Fats
Yes, fat is your friend!
Let's go back to basics. Fat is one of the three macronutrients. It provides 9 calories per gram, a more calorically dense nutrient when compared to carbohydrate and protein which each contain 4 calories per gram. Fat molecules are comprised of fatty acids. It is naturally ocurring in animal products and plants. There are different types of fat: saturated fats, monounsaturated and poly unsaturated. Because fat is energy dense, it helps to keep us full and satisfied for a longer period of time. Fat is important to help absorb nutrients such as vitamin A, D, E and K.
IMPORTANCE OF FATS:
- Fats are a component of the membrane of every cell in our body
- They help absorb fat soluble vitamins in the body
- Contribute to brain health
- Source of efficient energy for our body
- Structural component of hormones
- Contributes to healthier skin
- Fatty Fish
- Avocados + cold pressed avocado oil
-Cold pressed olive oils
- Nuts and seeds (walnuts, chia seed, flax seed, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, almonds + more)
Healthy Fats at Balance Cafe & Smoothies:
- Experts say to eat fatty fish 2-3 times per week. Make sure to order the Asian Salmon or Grilled Salmon Salads
- Avocados are plentiful with nutrients and monounsaturated fats! Try the Chicken Bacon Avocado Salad, California Veggie Wrap and get a daily dose of healthy fats!
- Olive oil is one of the best oils for salad dressing! It is packed with antioxidants, monounsaturated fats which will help you absorb all the nutrients from your delicious and nutritious salad. Next time you order a salad from Balance ask for the oil and vinegar on the side!
-Nuts and seeds are the best source of omega 6 fats. But you can also get omega 3s from nuts and seeds as well. Your in luck! Balance cafe has many smoothies that highlight nuts and seeds. The popular Fruit of Steel smoothie has a serving of flax seed. Try out the Chocolate Covered Strawberry Smoothie which has chia seeds!
Fat is an important nutrient that provides us with energy and has many roles in the body. Make fat a part of your everyday meals to feel full and satisfied!