Did You Know: Quinoa
Quinoa has many health benefits making it a great ingredient to cook with! Balance Cafe uses quinoa in the ever so popular Quinoa Mac n' Cheese. Read below to learn more about quinoa's nutrition profile and superfood properties.
1. Quinoa is not actually a grain. It is a pseudo-grain and technically a seed.
2. Quinoa is naturally gluten free.
3. Quinoa is one of the only plant foods that is a complete protein ( meaning it contains all essential amino acids).
4. One cup of cooked quinoa has 8 grams of protein, making it a great source of plant based protein.
5. A good source of fiber. Quinoa has twice as much fiber as white rice.
6. Can be used in a variety of meals, sweet or savory! From breakfast bowls to mac n' cheese ( seriously, try the Quinoa Mac) and everything in-between.
7. Although not a true grain, quinoa is part of the 'ancient grain' family due to its use back to our ancestral days
8. Quinoa can be cooked like rice. For best results, rinse in water before cooking. Typically cooked in 1 part quinoa to 2 parts water.
9. Quinoa is very rich in magnesium and iron
10. Most of the quinoa consumed in the USA is from South America, specifically Peru
Stop in to Balance Cafe & Smoothies to try out Quinoa specials.